Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Sleep Study


My neuro decided that my fatigue might be caused by more than just being anemic and being on muscle relaxers. She scheduled me for a sleep study. I couldn't actually write about it while I was taking the study, I was allowed to bring my cell phone but not the lap top. So I will write about it now.

There were two things about the sleep study that I was very anxious about. I've had a sleep study before and I've spent the night in the hospital before so it wasn't either of those two things. My number one worry was - I have to remove my acrylic nails and my number two worry was - I sleep with a stuffed bunny and no one at the clinic is going to take me seriously.

On the day of the study I left work early and went home to shower. Chad and I went to get something to eat. I had to be at the clinic at 6:30, its hard for me to eat that early at night but I was still a little nervous anyway so I wasn't worried about getting hungry later. I pulled into my designated parking spot at the clinic and buzzed for the nurse to let me in. It was really nice inside, not like a hospital at all, more like a hotel. I was given a tour; two sleep study rooms, the room where the tester... ummm tested, and a break room for the people who worked in the clinic.

There was one other woman there doing a sleep study. She was on her second visit. On the second visit they fit you for a mask and calibrate your CPAP machine so it will work best for you. I don't know if I will need a second visit or not, I haven't seen my doctor since the study.

I had a nice double bed to sleep in. It wasn't a hospital bed it was more like a bed you would have at home. They took some measurements and hooked up all the little sensors and then left me to watch TV until time to go to sleep.

I didn't sleep well at all. I'm a very light sleeper and every time the tester came in to make an adjustment or reattach a sensor that fell off I woke up. In the morning she woke me up at 5 am. She said she couldn't tell me any of my results but she did say that I only went into stage 4 sleep a few times.

The day after the test I was so tired. I tried to go to work but I left at lunch time. All in all it wasn't a bad experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment